Home Forums Unreal Tournament 2004 UT2004 Competition Settings: The Basics

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by asc asc 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    asc
    asc
    Participant

Here are the essential settings that are recommended in order to compete on a level playing field.

Check for these values and adjust them accordingly:

UT2004/System/

-> User.ini

[Engine.PlayerController]
    bDynamicNetSpeed=False
    bLandingShake=False

[Engine.Pawn]
    Bob=0.00
    bWeaponBob=False

[Engine.Player]
    ConfiguredInternetSpeed=11000 #(FPS*64). This unlocks your fps limit. Consider binding “netspeed 11000″ to a key.

[UnrealGame.UnrealPawn]
    PlacedCharacterName=Gorge
    bPlayOwnFootsteps=False

[Engine.PlayerInput]
    MouseSmoothingMode=0 #Keeping these disabled will provide a more consistent aim.
    MouseSmoothingStrength=0.00
    MouseAccelThreshold=0.00

[GUI2K4.UT2k4ServerBrowser]
    bStandardServersOnly=False

-> UT2004.ini

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
    MinDesiredFrameRate=999.00
    DrawDistanceLOD=1.00

[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
    MusicVolume=0.00
    AmbientVolume=0.00
    Rolloff=0.400000 #Increases volume of distant sounds. Useful in duels. <0.4 is not allowed.

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    MaxClientRate=20000
    MaxInternetClientRate=15000 #These can be set higher if needed.

[Engine.DemoRecDriver]
    NetServerMaxTickRate=60 #Records your demo’s at 60fps.

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
    ReduceMouseLag=False #False for highest stable fps.
    UsePrecaching=True
    UseTrilinear=False
    UseTripleBuffering=false
    UseVSync=false

[Engine.AmbientSound]
    AmbientVolume=0.00

[Engine.LevelInfo]
    bNeverPrecache=false
    bShouldPreload=True
    bDesireSkinPreload=True
    MaxClientFrameRate=170.00 #This is the highest STABLE fps that this game engine can handle.

Check: ‘UT2004 Max FPS & Connection Settings Guide’ for other FPS & Netspeed values.

These are the basics. The rest (mouse sens, binds, graphics, HUD, etc) are up to you.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by asc asc.
    nite
    nite
    Participant

ill beat you up with default ini !

PissedNumlock
    Keymaster

I also enjoy the Kaus crosshair pack, which features a dot with a circle around it that I use for all my weapons. There probably exist other ones, it’s just the one I have been using since the beginning. I don’t find a working link yet, but I’ll upload them once I am at my desktop.

nite
    nite
    Participant
    Darmy
    Darmy
    Participant

“bLandingShake=False” I read somewhere that the landing shake effect is real = although you dont see it if you turn it off its still there, the server will just move your aim upwards a little bit to compensate the difference between what you see and where you actually aim. All in all the writer suggested leaving that option ON. I think it was some article on cluex…

DSK
    DSK
    Participant

“bLandingShake=False” I read somewhere that the landing shake effect is real = although you dont see it if you turn it off its still there, the server will just move your aim upwards a little bit to compensate the difference between what you see and where you actually aim. All in all the writer suggested leaving that option ON. I think it was some article on cluex…

Haha someone actually read them? I’m impressed!

j) Landing viewshake. Keep it on. Why? Beacuse, unlike bobbing, this effect is REAL, whether or not you have it turned off client side. If you turn it off, the server will think you are aiming further down than you are upon landing.

The article is Lotus’ tips for improving.

asc
    asc
    Participant

Interesting.

I assumed that if the server had it configured ‘False’, then it would be eliminated server-side. Is this correct?

Darmy
    Darmy
    Participant

<OT>

Haha someone actually read them? I’m impressed!

Thats about the only impressive thing I ever done in UT (I read them all!) :D Yeah and that one time being called a cheater, that was cool too, felt like a pro :D
    </OT>

asc
    asc
    Participant

I know a method of achieving a near-stable 200fps, if anyone would like to give it a try. Although, you should make sure that your system and settings can handle it that high.

Set MaxClientFrameRate=260.00, and keep NetSpeed at 10001. This way the frame-rate is capped by the NetSpeed. This gives you a much more stable frame-rate than having MaxClientFrameRate=200.00. You’ll notice the game sending/receiving ~100 packets now, although not 100% of the time so it’s not completely stable.

EDIT: See post #233

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by asc asc.
    nite
    nite
    Participant

uh huh,

and just how will your display keep up with the 200 fram per seconds ? cause most of the new lcd monitors are at 65 ( crt 65 =! lcd 65 ) or so but defo not any near 200

so roughly 140 fram are wasted each seconds –> it will be anything but fluent

for the best gaming experience all you need to do is –> fps-cap <– your game to your display settings
    >ut2004.ini
    >MinDesiredFrameRate= -2 below your display performance
    >DesiredRefreshRate= the actual display performance
    and play with netspeed settings ingame to see when the fps-cap activates // for me on 20k even if the server is set not to allow such //

thats how i dealt with it

NmS-
    Participant

I still play UT2004 on a CRT monitor with 120Hz refreshrate. I capped my MaxFPS at 120 FPS, so that both the refreshrate and FPS are in sync. Playing as smooth as butter ;)

If you don’t have 120Hz refreshrate, but 60Hz instead, you can also put your MaxFPS to 2x your refreshrate.

asc
    asc
    Participant

and just how will your display keep up with the 200 fram per seconds ? cause most of the new lcd monitors are at 65 ( crt 65 =! lcd 65 ) or so but defo not any near 200

There are two main benefits regardless of how low your refresh-rate is:
    • Reduced tearing.
    • Better mouse response.

I won’t go into details as this has been explained tons of times around the net. Check ESR.

Another benefit is the higher packets sent with higher frame-rates, which also improves responsiveness.
    e.g.
    130fps = 65 packets,
    170fps = 85 packets,
    200fps = 100packets (not always stable).

If you can’t achieve these high frame-rates then I’d recommend that you try something like 120FPS and enable the “Reduce Mouse Lag” option.

BTW, there are 120Hz, 144Hz, and (soon) 240Hz LCD monitors available now.

Pyth0n
    Participant

I play with a stable 250fps at a 120hz monitor, netspeed 12500. 2 frames per hz, and a few bonus :)
    (Netspeed 100001 is enough to unlock the fps-cap, yet I figure it’s too low when reaching these higher fps)

A while back I did use 125fps at the very same 120hz monitor,
    but once I tried to double up the fps I will never go back.
    There’s a big difference in the overall smoothness of how the game perform!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Pyth0n.
    asc
    asc
    Participant

I play with a stable 250fps at a 120hz monitor, netspeed 12500. 2 frames per hz, and a few bonus :)<br>
    (Netspeed 100001 is enough to unlock the fps-cap, yet I figure it’s too low when reaching these higher fps)

A while back I did use 125fps at the very same 120hz monitor,<br>
    but once I tried to double up the fps I will never go back.<br>
    There’s a big difference in the overall smoothness of how the game perform!

When I tried 256fps I also noticed a lot of warping with my movement, even without any registered packet-loss. It was unplayable. I even noticed the odd warping at 200fps, however 170fps was perfectly fine.

I find that the lowest Netspeed to make the jump from 200fps to 256fps starts from ‘Netspeed=10501′. I don’t know why everyone has come up with different Netspeed answers, you should double check that the server has registered your Netspeed change by pressing F6 or typing ‘net stat’ in console.

EDIT: Use higher netspeed: post 233

Lwlf
    Participant

Quite informative!

I wanted to know if there is a way to force the model, even if there is no utcomp on server.

Well, i would like to force it to gorge ideally. If you happen to know how (or if it’s even possible), let me know =) , ty in advance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.